Wednesday, October 05, 2005

USB Drives - Know 'em, Love 'em, Keep 'em close

Update: Sept 30 2005 - Staples had a one-day sale. Offerings included the 1-Gig SanDisk Cruzer Micro for $39.99 - no messy rebates. I've noticed, however, that the Titanium transfers files much faster.
-----
I recently (posted Jan 2005) picked up a great deal... Staples had the SanDisk 512MB Micro on sale for $29.xx (after rebate) and I noticed in a posting on FatWallet that when the Micro was gone, Staples was substituting the 512MB Titanium. The Titanium is normally in the $80 neighborhood, so at ~$30 plus tax this was too good to pass up. I called the nearest Staples and asked if they had any 512MB Micro's on hand and heard "No, but we're substituting the Titanium for it". Needless to say, I rushed right over...
I gotta say, this is one sweet piece of geek hardware. The USB connector extends and retracts from the case like little data landing-gear. Transferring files seems much faster (15MB/sec read and 13MB/sec write) than with the SanDisk 256MB Mini that I've been carrying for the last year-plus.
This calls for a quick review of USB flash drives that I've owned:
I already know that I'll be looking for a 1 or 2GB (maybe bigger) drive between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2005.

So what does a guy do with all that space? First, you add all your favorite applications. Then whatever data you can't live without. If you're a geek like me, getting constant helpdesk requests, you add Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and other diagnostic tools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home